Fitness experts and the medical world will tell you that one of the best forms of exercise is walking. Just a few minutes a day can improve your heart, strengthen muscles, increase metabolism, help you lose weight, make you feel more awake, combat stress and depression, and the list goes on and on. What is hiking? It's just glorified walking! No special equipment needed, no special skills to master. Just get up and go for a walk (only you get to call it hiking if you're in a park or on a trail instead!)
Why do we hike?
We have many reasons why we love hiking. Here are just a few of them.
- It's just walking with cool scenery!
- No expensive equipment needed. Put on a pair of tennis shoes and go!
- Can be done virtually anywhere (in town, out of town, on a trail, off a trail).
- Slow and quiet enough for some cool critter watching and photography.
- Can be done in almost any weather condition, almost any time of year.